Tascam DA-6400 64-Channel Solid-State Recorder
Compact 64-channel digital multitrack recorder/player for Live and Broadcast applications
TASCAM’s DA-6400 is an all-new 64-track recorder that records to an internal SSD drive caddy for live and event recording. Professional I/O options like MADI and DANTE make it ideal for live recording, event capture, or as a backup for critical DAW sessions. Available with a single or dual/redundant power supply, the DA-6400 is an unbeatable option for professional remote recording.
Included with the DA-6400 is an AK-CC25 hot-swappable caddy containing a high-performance 240GB TASCAM solid-state drive. The caddy includes a USB 3 jack for stand-alone use – simply hand the drive to the client to offload the BWAV files into their DAW session. The DA-6400 records 64 tracks at 48kHz/24-bit or 32 tracks at 96kHz/24-bit. Included on the rear panel are SMPTE timecode, word clock, RS-422, parallel and Ethernet connections.
I/O options for the DA-6400 include the IF-MA64/EX interface card, with both coaxial and optical MADI connections. This card includes a redundant coaxial connection so that MADI is passed through even if power is lost, making it an ideal backup recorder for DAW sessions. Other I/O options include the lower-cost IF-MA64/BN coaxial MADI card, IF-DA64 Dante card, and IF-AE16 AES/EBU card, with more to come.
No dedicated recorder combines the high performance, flexible operation, and complete reliability of TASCAM’s DA-6400 solid-state 64-track recorder.
A stable, reliable 64-channel digital multitrack recorder
The DA-6400 uses an embedded operating system for quick startup and simple operation. The system is designed for reliable recording when using high sampling rates and large amounts of data transmission. Files are saved approximately every 20 seconds during recording, so data losses due to unexpected power supply interruptions are kept to a minimum. Recording and playback is supported at up to 96kHz/24-bit (32 tracks) for incredibly detailed master tracks.
The DA-6400 records to solid-state drives (SSD), the ideal format due to their excellent vibration protection, environmental resistance, and simple, maintenance-free operation. TASCAM has created our own SSD, designed for and thoroughly tested with DA-6400 recorders without the automatic "housekeeping" features that can cause disks to drop out of record. Internal components, including IC control elements, have been carefully selected and constantly tested lot by lot with the parts manufacturers to maintain quality specifications.
The included 240GB SSD is pre-installed into a removable AK-CC25 storage case. Using the swappable bay in the DA-6400 unit, drives can be hot-swapped and then given to clients. The AK-CC25 case includes a USB 3 jack for rapid transfer to DAW systems.
Another feature designed to maintain reliable recording is the high-precision internal sample clock, a temperature-compensated (TCXO) crystal oscillator with ±1ppm operation. For the most critical installations, a dual power supply version (DA-6400DP) is available.
The Ideal Backup Recorder
The DA-6400 can receive timecode from a Pro Tools system for backup recording with synchronized operation. Using serial or parallel control, you can start DA-6400 recording operations from Pro Tools.
In a studio or live system that supports MADI, you can use the IF-MA64/EX audio interface card. It supports MADI thru to include a DA-6400 between a mixing desk and Pro Tools (or another main recording system). The IF-MA64/EX features a fully-redundant MADI thru, sending MADI from the input to a another device even if the power is disconnected. No matter which interface you use, a DA-6400 can be installed for a compact, lightweight backup instead of purchasing a second complete system. Dante and AES/EBU interface cards are also available – with more formats coming soon – and two card slots allow the unit to support multiple I/O protocols.< br />
With a one-rackspace footprint and simple BWF transfer to DAW systems, the DA-6400 fits into any professional installation.
Multi-channel playback for theme parks and installations
TASCAM's DA-6400 is the ideal candidate for multi-track playback in installations. The solid-state drive won't wear out after months of use, and the unit can be controlled through serial, parallel, ethernet, or timecode. The SMPTE generator can be used as a master device at any standard frame rate – 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97NDF, 30DF, or 30NDF.
Gigabit ethernet is offered for remote control and file transfer. FTP can be used to push files to the device or to retrieve recordings from Mac, Windows or UNIX systems. A built-in FTP client is also included for transferring files to remote servers. SNTP support can also automatically update the clock from internet time sources.
Serial RS-422 (P2) and parallel control is also included for use in post, broadcast, or recording studio operation.
Firmware version 2.00 adds new functions for better usability
- Support for playback of WAV files in 32bit PCM and 32bit float format.
WAV files in 32bit PCM/float format is frequently used in DAW's such as Pro Tools. Playback of such files is now supported.
- Sorting functions allows the take list to be arranged in take timecode and take name orders
- Current Take and Playlist functions are added to the Home Screen menu
- My MENU function can be used to show only selected menu pages
- Easier network connections from Mac OS X and Telnet, VNC, FTP apps that support mDNS (Multicast DNS)
- Theater play function for playbacks in theaters, theme parks and similar venues.
- Playlist function enables JPPA flash start playback and settings of playback range for audio files from playlist entry list
- Support cascade function that allows simultaneous recording/playback operations with sample-precise synchronization on multiple units that are connected to the same network
- AUTO READY function added. After a take completes playback, this puts the unit into playback standby at the beginning of the next take.
- Support for timecode synchronized playback of all takes in the current folder (This operation of the unit is the same as used before firmware version 2.00)
- Support for playback of WAV files in 32-bit PCM and 32-bit floating formats
- Take list sorting functions added
- Home Screen menu functions added
- My MENU function added
- mDNS（Multicast DNS）supported for easy network connection
- Two types of VNC server compressed transmission formats supported
- SNTP menu page now shows current date and time
- Current folder name and cascade status added to INFORMATION screen
- Marks added automatically at buffer overflows during recording
- Track Names and other metadata added to BEXT chunk data of BWF files
- iXML chunk data of Track Names and other metadata added to BWF files
- A TRACK NAMES function has been added that allows the recording files for each track to be named as desired.
By entering keywords such as "vocal", "guitar" etc. on connected DAW such as Pro Tools, it imports the file of each channel from the unit.
- The TASCAM IF-AN16/OUT analog output interface card is now supported.
- The TASCAM DA-6400 Control iPad remote control app is now supported.
- The TASCAM IF-AE16 AES/EBU interface card is now supported.
- A function has been added to synchronize with SMPTE timecode and play the current take.
- A "VAMPING" mode has been added to the repeat playback functions.
- A function to set the input signal routing for each individual channel has been added.
- A function to set the output signal routing has been added.
- The TASCAM IF-DA64 Dante interface card is now supported.
Features at a glance
- Supports recording/playback of 64 channels at 48kHz/24-bit or 32 channels at 96kHz/24-bit PCM
- The perfect backup recording system for synchronized capture with Pro Tools systems
- 2.5-inch SSD recording media with excellent vibration and environmental resistance as well as maintenance-free operation.
(Note: HDD support currently under development)
- Includes TASCAM SSD – designed with custom controller parts and thoroughly tested using DA-6400 units
- Hot swappable AK-CC25 case loads into front-loaded storage bay with USB 3 I/O port for transfer to DAW computer
- AK-CC25 with TASCAM 240GB SSD drive included with unit
- Hi-visibility Color LCD (320×120 pixels)
- BWF support for storing time information with files
- Two I/O slots for optional audio interface cards:
- IF-MA64/EX 64-channel redundant (in/out/thru) MADI optical/coaxial interface card
- IF-MA64/BN 64-channel MADI coaxial interface card
- IF-DA64 64-channel Dante interface card
- IF-AE16 16-channel AES/EBU interface card
- SMPTE LTC timecode input and output for location synchronization
- Firmware upload over USB port
- Parallel remote control input
- RS-422 serial remote control (9-pin serial protocol compliant)
- Gigabit LAN (1000BASE-T Ethernet) for file transfer, remote control and monitoring over a network
- SNTP server support for automatic adjustment of the internal clock over a network
- Video reference (NTSC/PAL blackburst signals and HDTV Tri-level signals) and word clock input and output/thru
- EIA 1U rackmount size
- IEC 3-pin inlet
- iPad and computer applications for remote control
- AC power redundancy built in (DA-6400dp only)
TASCAM SSD features
- 240GB 2.5-inch serial ATA SSD
- With cooperation with parts manufacturers, TASCAM uses a specific control IC for stable, reliable operation
- SSD operation has been tested with the DA-6400
- One included with each DA-6400/DA-6400dp; additional drives can be purchased separately
- Total recording time: 7h12m@48kHz/24-bits, 64 channels
AK-CC25 (DA-6400 series SSD storage case) features
- 2.5-inch serial ATA SSD can be installed
(Note: HDD support currently under development)
- USB 3.0 interface supports high-speed data transfer
- Data transfer possible when loaded in a DA-6400 bay and when connected by USB to a computer as an external drive
- LED disk access indicator
- One included with each DA-6400/DA-6400dp; additional cases can be purchased separately
This product includes software developed by Christos Zoulas.
This product includes software developed by Winning Strategies, Inc.
This product includes software developed by WIDE Project and its contributors.
We Also Recommend
PreSonus ERIS E8 8" Nearfield Studio Monitor